Tuesday, September 16, 2008

To Get Fast(er) - I Must Get Lean(er)

The Sibs weekend was a nice break. I didn't train at all (although I did have a couple of strange Ironman dreams - so I didn't get completely away from it). Skiing, fishing, poker, football, hanging and the younger crowd wakeboarded.



Now I'm back at it. If I'm going to go under 1:54 in San Antonio, I'm going to have to get serious about it. I know I can put in the miles, hills and speedwork. Where I'm going to have to make some changes is on the front end - the intake. The only way I seem to be able to change my diet - no more massive handfuls of M&Ms, is if I'm logging my calories. I use a calorie counter at http://www.fitday.com/ . They've updated it since I last used it (not a good sign) and it seems even more user friendly.

One advantage to being in the Clydesdale division is that I burn a lot of calories. If I limit my calories to 3,500 a day I'll lose weight. You wouldn't think that would be much of a challenge. Did you know that 1/4 cup of plain M&M's has 220 calories? That's about one small handfull. Now take one of those every trip through the kitchen and I'll have 1,000 calories that do nothing for me. That's why I have to log. When I'm logging my food I have to budget the calories. I generally will choose a quality food over the quick handful of candy coated chocolatey goodness.

We'll see how it goes. I'm on day 2.

My tempo run this morning didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped. It's not supposed to be comfortable, but I really struggled to get to 8:30s and came up a bit short. I believe two factors made it tough:

  1. I'm still just 9 days out from the Square Lake 1/2 IM. It took almost the full 2 weeks between Rockman and Grandma's before I had my legs back.
  2. I weigh 222 lbs. As I shed a few pounds it will get easier to make the pace goals.

I'm actually looking forward to more of a run focus for a while. I'll still bike and swim at least once a week, but just for kicks.

Thursday planning a big ride with the Doc. It (and she) should be gorgeous. Not many days like that left (for the weather, not the Doc - she's got a lot of gorgeous days left). I'm thinking gateway from 694 to Pine Point Park, up to Scandia, lunch, and then back.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A word of wisdom from an IT band flare-up at hip runner (pre 2007 Grandma's)- be cautious of adding speed in so early to the workout. Be sure your are recovered from the knee and half IM before speed is added. I would just add in a regular run in its place for mileage instead of speed.

Where is the calander of events that you are planning for next year so that I can coordinate with a few?

tracy said...

who are you?

richvans said...

who are you?

richvans said...

Actually, I know who you are. What's your problem? Just sad because you missed sibs weekend? Did you check out the videos of the boys crashing?