Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Obligatory Post

Hello:

I realized it has been over 1 week since I last posted and even that one was just some pics from a previous race.

I've been flailing a bit this past week. Diet isn't on track - although I may be down to 220 so at least I'm not going the wrong direction. The running seems to be going ok - although I'm concerned that my pace goal is over ambitious. The last thing I want to do is develop some injury at the end of this season that will hurt my chances at IM CDA next year. Right now I'm focusing on my right achilles tendon. It always gets a little touchy when I pick up the pace a little. I decided to just do a base run today instead of the hill workout I was contemplating.

I do a tempo run tomorrow and my 8 miler on Friday. After that I'll have a good idea where my goals should be. Right now I see 3 possibilities: 1) go for it - 1:55 or less; 2) scale it back but still shoot for under 1:59:40 - a PR; or 3) coast - put in enough miles to finish comfortably, practically eliminate the speed work, eat and drink my way through San Antonio leading up to the race, run with Angie as she shoots for 2:10.

That third option is looking better and better. I know the Doc would like it. This is our first trip to San Antonio and she would rather be there with the relaxed, just having a good time, up for anything me as opposed to the more tightly wound than usual, resting, inwardly focused, going for a PR pre-race me.

Doc, OB and Ang who should I bring? Fun Rich or Focused Rich (those terms being relative of course)?

I'm hoping to get out and cheer on Capt Brian, Caroline and XT4 at TCM Sunday. The day looks perfect. It'll be wierd not doing the 10 mile - I've done it 4 times in a row.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There will be more races for PR's after CDA 09. Listening to your body will payoff in 263 days. Focus on the larger prize.

richvans said...

I know the deal NS Rob. You just don't want me to beat your PR. I'll be listening though.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
thedoc said...

Doc says - go for the PR ---it's the only thing that will make you truly happy that weekend (oh and the no kids and ska, ska)

Anonymous said...

My vote - Have fun in San Antonio - enjoy some Guinness down on the Riverwalk.

richvans said...

I like the Capt W - it sounds more like a super hero than Capt Brian.