Tuesday, November 18, 2008

San Antonio Recap


Decent weather, good food, great friends. Sounds like a recipe for a sweet weekend. Combine it with the energy and excitement from 30,000 runners and you've got it!
What would any trip to San Antonio be without a visit to the Alamo. I particularly appreciated the unbiased and evenhanded presentation of the factors leading up to the conflict. Texas - it really is like a whole other country. Having read Michener's Texas as a kid it was cool to see the site of the battle.



Here's Angie at around mile 2.5. Getting ready to hand off her extra hat and gloves. Her sherpa's were glad to have the gloves.









So this is what it feels like to stand on the side and cheer. I was glad I had brought my Turtleman cowbell. It was pretty quiet early in the race.
I was suprised at how little interest I had in running the race. Even going to the expo didn't cause any regret.
Here's the whole crew celebrating Angie's 15 minute PR. Wow! She was even so considerate as to run 3 seconds slower than my Grandma's time this year. Whew!
Here she is - Injured Runner Report #992-1. They document everything at the medical tent - even just needing a bandaid for a blister.
The Doc had to document putting a whippet in an ambulance to warm up at mile 20 of the Twin Cities Marathon one particularly cold year. That was their first (and perhaps only) veterinary incident at TCM.
Neither Anne nor I slept very well and we had an o-dark 30 flight out on Monday so the trip wasn't as restful as a weekend away usually is. Back to the hockey grind!
For those of you who have had concerns about a certain dietary anomoly of mine - never fear changes have been made. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looked like a great weekend. Nice to see you finally took my advice and started to focus on CDA 09. Let me know when your training begins - Securian Half Marathon is still on my agenda.