Monday, May 11, 2009

Bye Bye Love and Are You Sure

Bye Bye Love:

So I packed up the Guru into a slightly undersized box - beggars can't be choosers (thanks to Larry from The Fix my masseur/coach/bike fitter for the box). It was a tight fit but she's in there. I took it to an authorized Fedex shipper who apparently specializes in sending money orders out of the country. I'm sure I'm on some watchlist just for walking in and out of the place carrying a large box. Their "computers were down" but if I wanted to leave the box they'd call me when they were up and running. Uh, no thanks. Headed to Fedex Kinko's down the road. $31 later I was without a tri bike. I can't believe that's all it cost even with a declared value of 2k. Sure beats $175 EACH WAY from Delta.

I just checked and she has arrived in Kentucky. She should be at Main Street Bikes in Shelbyville, KY getting reassembled and tuned tomorrow.

Are You Sure This Was A Good Idea?

Here's the bike profile for the half IM next week. Yes I wanted a hilly course but I'm not sure this was what I had in mind. There's no profile for the run, but I imagine it looks a lot like the bike. The website says we will enjoy several hills on the run.



My goal is to stay well within my heart rate range on the bike and see how it goes on the run. Last week I got my head handed to me. I had a 3 hour, 1 hour brick. I rode the bike with a couple of friends and got a little overbaked. My legs were tired when I started and rode a little harder than I should have. Knew it at the time, but thought I'd be ok. WRONG! A shuffling 1/2 hour into the ralk (run/walk with mostly walk) I pulled the plug. Believe me, I will remember that day in Kentucky and at CDA.

1 comment:

Formulaic said...

Good luck on the Half! That profile looks tough!

Also, great advise on the shipping. I might take that advise with me when I ship the bike back home.

How big was the box?