Monday, May 25, 2009

Century Ride/Bump in the Road or Brick Wall?

Well, that's a first! I'm spinning along the county highways in Anoka/Isanti and Kanebec Counties. I turn the corner from Viking onto Rum River and then it happened.
















No, I didn't have to dash into the woods for natural break as they say in the peleton (at least that's what Phil Liggett says).





It was a bear.



A black bear, ursus americanus, to be precise. We don't really have any other kind in Minnesota outside the zoos.

At first I didn't realize that it was a bear. As it came down the embankment into the ditch about 50 yards in front of me I thought "That's a big dog!" and instantly sat up from the aero position. I'd encountered 2 loose dogs in my last race and was prepared to give it the "HAAAAAAAAAY - Go HOME!" treatment when I realized what I was dealing with. Hit the brakes moving just enough to stay vertical. He (I say he only because "it" had no cubs and seemed big enough to have one if "it" was a she) stopped on the shoulder in front of me, sized me up and ambled across the road and into the woods on the other side. There was a jogger about 200 yards in front of me. The bear was in between us and I'm sure he didn't see it. I'll have to figure out where that was and check my heartrate.

Anyhow, the rest of the ride went great. I was on flat terrain for reasons I'll get to later, but I finished 100 miles in 5:31. The day was gorgeous and I had no issues, other than the one.

THE ISSUE - BUMP IN THE ROAD OR BRICK WALL

My right knee is cranky. Patellar Tendinosis is my laymen's diagnosis. It's also known as runner's knee. Unfortunately biking is aggravating it. I felt a little something during the race last week. Thursday I went for a short fast spin and it bothered me quite a bit. After my 2:30 run on Friday it was really barking. I postponed my long ride until Sunday, and decided to ride the flat ground near the cabin rather than heading for the hills. Even so, I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish the ride. It didn't bother me too much (other than the ocassional tweak) until the last 5 miles.

Today, Monday, I took off except for a short rough water (for here) open water swim. I'm heading in to the doctor and will be checking with my bike guru (the guy not the Guru) to make sure there isn't a problem with my cleat position.

Hopefully I can get this cleared up and proceed. I take some solace that I got both of my long workouts done this week - somewhat close to the peaks next week so if I have to go based on the training I have in I think I can finish. Assuming I can heal the knee.

Time will tell if this is a bump in the road or the dreaded brick wall.

No comments: