Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Turtleman 2009 Swim Preview

NS Rob - Read no further as I want you to grab one of the remaining spots.

Muck . . . Yuck . . . Ouch . . . Yuck (repeat)

Turtle Lake is low, really low. If you've done the race before you are familiar with the submerged roadbed and the watermelon sized rocks. I almost met one with my face last year. Those rocks are now DRY.

This morning I met Stomper, NS Rob, and Ramsey for a little OW swim in Turtle Lake.

They must have added some sand at the beach - piled it right on top of the muck as it has a springboard feel to it. (the Muck)

You're swimming in/over weeds until you get to the roadbed (the yuck). To the left of the big dry rocks there is a relatively large rock free area that's about 4 inches deep then goes to knee deep for a while. There are smaller rocks though (the Ouch).

Then it is back to the weeds. (more Yuck)

Eventually it deepens enough that you're out of the weeds.

At some point you turn around and get to do it again.

Ok, this may be an overly negative post, but the swim is not going to be great with a stretch that requires walking on the way out and the way back.

I wouldn't predict that Turtleman is going to challenge Minneman for event of the year this year, which is too bad since Tman is such a great event.

I'm still looking forward to the Race for the Turtle. Heck, I'm even looking forward to the swim. Hoping to see how good I can go swimming "only" a mile. There are just going to be some people really freaked out by the muck, the weeds and the walk.

Mentally prepare yourself and rock the swim.

2 comments:

NS Rob said...

I must submit to the Editor an error: NS Rob was not at Turtle Lake for the swim.... and by the sound of it, may choose to wait until next year.

richvans said...

Yeah I will change that. Maybe you ate looking more and more like Jim.