Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Preparing for Grandma's 1/2

When I signed up for Rockman, I knew it was only 2 weeks before the Bjorklund 1/2 Marathon at Grandma's. I figured I would recover the first week, get a long run in on the weekend and then rest up until the race on Saturday. I wasn't planning on shooting for a PR, just having a nice run with a (for me) decent time.

Things haven't exactly gone according to plan. Two days after Rockman I went for a 2 mile recovery run hoping to bust loose some of the soreness in my legs. Didn't work. On the third day I went for a swim. Cut it short after a warm up and 4x100s. Left me just exhausted. Took a day completely off. Went for a 45 minute ride on day 5. Finally started feeling better. Sunday I decided to run 6 miles. 5 miles later I was walking home. Hmmm, this could be interesting.

I finally started to get some life on Monday. Did a 20 minute open water swim in the morning and the rode 25 miles in the afternoon. Yesterday I ran 4 miles with 3 miles under race pace. Today I'm going for a swim.

I just hope I'm able to get the running over with on Saturday so that I can start the post race party feeling good.

This is my 5th straight year at Grandma's. It's going to seem wierd next year not being there (assuming I get into IM CDA on Monday).

2 comments:

xt4 said...

Best of luck at Gma's - and definitely best of luck with getting into CDA. Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

Angela said...

Looking forward to tracking your progress and seeing you in San Antonio, even though you are selfishly leaving me high and dry for the race and going for your own PR instead of helping me with mine! By the way, you looked great at Grandma's! Almost didn't recognize you!