Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Rockman 1/2 IM Race Report

Conventional wisdom dictates that in the last 10 miles of the bike in a 1/2 Iron distance race it is crucial to spin easy to loosen up your legs for the half marathon yet to come. When you're out in middle of farm country and the lightning starts flashing all around conventional wisdom goes right out the window.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. First the swim. 1.2 miles, 2 loops of a triangle course. I'm a decent swimmer; typically have a split in the top 1/4. With nearly 300 of us starting together it's the largest mass start I've been a part of. Until we rounded the first buoy there was a lot more contact than I'm used to. Once we rounded the first buoy I went pretty wide. I always prefer to swim a little farther in order to get my own space. Usually this works great. This time it led me into the weeds.

The second loop was uneventful. Out of the water in 36:20.

Took my time in T1. It's going to be a long day so a few seconds gained in transition aren't going to matter. A small hill immediately after the mounting line. Fortunately the race director was announcing that it's faster to run up the hill and mount at the top. I took him at his word. A couple other racers didn't and have the bruises to prove it.

The Bike
56 miles. Out and back. 20 to 30 mph winds - generally crosswinds. My goal was to complete the bike in under 3 hours keeping my average heart rate under 140. Based upon my longest brick, 50 mile bike, 5 mile run, this would leave enough in the tank for the run. Well that was the plan.

Note to self: always take your bike out for a short spin race morning. It will keep you from riding for 3 hours with a completely loose right aerobar.

The first 45 miles were pretty uneventful - probably pushing a little too hard. Getting passed by a lot of disc wheels, deep rims and aero helmets. The sky to the west starts looking really nasty.

Lightning starts flashing. The rain starts coming down horizontally. Ouch is that hail? No, sure feels like it. I weigh 215 pounds and I feel like I'm going to get blown in a ditch. Speaking of ditches, if that lightning gets any closer or it starts looking any nastier, I may have to think about hunkering down in one and waiting it out.

In an effort to get out of the storm I'm redlining.

Finally about 1 mile out it stops raining and the wind dies down. I drop to my easiest gear and spin, but the damage has been done. Time 2:58 avg heartrate 148.

T2
I had the forethought to put my running shoes and a fresh pair of socks in a plastic bag. I took the time to change socks. I'm on the road.

The Walk (I mean run).
Less than a mile into the run the skies opened up again. So much for the dry socks. It's a hilly course and I'm already walking uphills in mile 2. I keep hoping that my legs will start to feel better but it was not to be.

Duck under the tree that nearly fell on the first place woman and keep moving. Now I'm getting passed by old guys and fat chicks. Shuffle on in in 2:37.

Total time 6:16:54. So much for my goal of 5:47:06 or secondary goal of 6 hours. Why 5:47:06 you might ask? That's the time my friend MJ finished at Prairieman last fall in 100 degree heat. It would kill him (a 2:54 marathoner) if my PR was faster than his. Someday maybe.

1 comment:

Zack Armstrong said...

That weather during the bike was something else. Difficult to train for hail and lightning. It does allow us to tell others our horror triathlon stories though. Keep up the good work my man! I will check up on ya from time to time. Have a happy, safe, and successful season!