Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Equipment Issues

In addition to worrying about time, we triathletes spend countless hours fretting over equipment. We're suckers for anything that promises to make us faster. If we're not studying the latest issue of Triathlete for the latest and greatest we're online at http://www.trigearreview.com/. I guess when I say "we" I mean me. Not all trigeeks are that focused on gear, but they do have that reputation.

Sometimes our gear let's us down (or more often we let it down). I don't mean, the gear doesn't deliver on the promises of Faris Al Sultan bike splits, although that happens often enough, I mean it breaks.

This weekend was marked by broken or misbehaving gear. The first casualty was my Garmin 305. In getting ready to head up to the cabin, I threw it and the rest of my bike gear (and the Doctor's as well) into my gym bag.

When I got it out on Saturday it looked like somebody had put one of those cracked windshield stickers on it. Only it wouldn't peel off. The plastic had been pushed all the way down and impacted the lcd screen. Great - this will last exactly one wet ride. Fortunately Garmin has a $99 repair program. Beats $250 for a whole new shebang.

The only thing hard enough to break it was the Doc's spd cleats. The only way they could generate enough force would be if some kid was jumping on the thing. I know a couple of suspects. I've sent some fiber samples retrieved off the bag to the lab, but I doubt they'll be definitive.

The week before Grandma's I took the Guru in to get it tuned up (mostly just to keep me off the thing leading up to the 1/2 marathon). It was not shifting as smoothly as it could. Turns out it also needed a new chain. These 10 speed chains just don't last. Anyhow, they had adjusted my front brake so tightly that I had virtually zero clearance on both sides. After changing my front tire, the brake pad was rubbing. I thought I had fixed it when I headed out on my ride. Wrong.

I was pushing hard and barely making 16 mph. I reached down and opened it up a bit and thought that's a little better. Finally, 3/4s of the way into my ride I realize it's still rubbing. I open it up all the way and now can finish my ride at a better pace. I was really worried that I'd lost all my cycling form in the nearly 2 weeks since I last rode.

In that instance, I really let the equipment down. I should have made sure I had the problem fixed before heading out. I think I just moved the rubbing from one side of the wheel to the other.

Sunday I was able to ride from the cabin over to the Minneman course and preview it. I hadn't ridden it in a couple years. I'm hoping to have a good race Saturday. I think as long as I don't eat too much fruit pizza and brownies on Friday at the lake I should be good to go.

I talked the Doc into volunteering as medical support for the race Saturday. It'll be fun having her there.

I probably won't post again until after the race - unless something truly heinous occurs. Now to get back to some obsessing about race wheels and aero helmets.

No comments: