Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Short Breather

Hey All,

Took a short break after Lifetime. I was pretty sore until Tuesday. I did try and get a swim in Monday night - had goggles, swimcap, shower shoes, towel, watch . . . no suit. They're pretty flexible at LA Fitness, but not that flexible. It was already pretty late when I headed over there so I decided to bag it.

Got a quick ski set in yesterday - thanks Wendy! It was a great day at the lake with the kids. J-Rose got up on two without the skis being tied together (not for long). Zman continues to ratchet up his slalom. I'm resisting the temptation to start talking to him about technique, just letting him get more aggressive. The day will come when we can talk about head position, one armed turns, hip position etc.

Hit up a spin class this morning. It's a nice break from riding the roads, usually alone. Tomorrow I've got a training ride with my rivals for the Turtle - Jim and Stomper Rob. They both did the full marathon at Grandma's so they haven't spent as much time on the bike as they'd like. That suits me fine as they're both faster runners than me. The Turtleman organizers did me a favor by dropping from the 10k back to 5 miles on the run. I think I'll need about 7 1/2 minutes going into the run. May be time to pick up that aero bike helmet (ok, ok I don't want the Turtle that bad).

This weekend the family is headed down to Rockford for our high school reunion. Training will continue to take a bit of a backseat for now. Next week the kids have day camp and I'm planning on getting in a great week of training - assuming I don't spend the whole time painting window trim at the lake.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It looks like we've got the lodging issue resolved for Coeur D'alene. I wasn't getting much response from the homeowners (I think they've been overwhelmed) but I did find something very close to the start. It should work out great for race day. Mom and the kids can see some of the race and then go back and hang out at the house. The Doc and OB will have their bikes and be spread out on the course. Now I need to come up with a catchy theme for their matching shirts. Suggestions?

No comments: