Monday, March 16, 2009

Now That's a Rest Day

This is how I spent just about all of Saturday. The kids went to a retreat at Luther Park so the Doc and I used it as an excuse to continue up to Larsmont on the North Shore. She worked out Saturday morning - I didn't pack any shoes or spandex for such activity so I took a REAL recovery day. We both finished a book.
Those of us who are addicts often look to those "more" addicted to show we're not really addicted. I mean look at that guy, I'd never: drink malt liquor in a paper bag, sell my wedding ring for some coke, or in my case, run an ultra-marathon. I mean those people are truly crazy. I'm "just" going to do my first Ironman. The Doc still cringes everytime she hears or read first Ironman. Anyhow, I read "Off the Deep End" about a 45 year old guy trying to qualify for the 2008 Olympic Trials in the 50m free. Now that's truly crazy (he didn't quite make it, but he did win the Masters Nationals and better his college swimming time).
The most intense undertaking of my Saturday is shown below:

We wandered around on Lake Superior for a while. Sunday after we got back to town I had a 50 minute run and had to continually hold myself back. My HR stayed low and the legs felt great. It was 60 degrees (which in March means there was a hearty South wind) but it was awesome to be free of tights and the jacket. I'm going to need the rest with the 3:45 bike and 2:00 run, plus 1.2 mile swim TT this week.

No comments: