Monday, March 30, 2009

In the Soup Now

You call that a recovery week! " . . . eh eh I guess" (hear Garth's voice) Each preceding recovery week has left me feeling refreshed, enthused and ready to roll. This past week it took until after the rest day before I felt good. Each workout seemed harder than it should be. I think that even though my body was recovering my mind was still suffering from training fatigue.

I had rearraned some of the workouts and ended up doing most of the true recovery work at the beginning of the week leaving the intervals and hills for later in the week. A tactical error on my part.

On a side note, I'll be glad when each news cycle doesn't contain a new study about the cardiac risks of triathlon. Apparently it's about 3 times that of marathoning. In talking to the Doc, we're not even sure where to begin to get my risk assessed. Most cardiologists offices aren't set up to test someone who's resting heartrate is 48 and can run for a few hours. From what I've found, it would take a full radiological echocardiogram to see the thickening of the heart wall called "athlete's heart." A regular ekg could detect a dangerous rythym, but I think the Doc would have noticed that - although she hasn't listened to my heart in a while. Maybe it's time to get the Doc to play Doc.

The articles aren't helping her nerves about the whole IM adventure. [Ramsey - skip this next line or two] The only good news is that the risk seems higher for newbies with little open water experience. Our bay of the lake was free of ice yesterday, so I should be starting my open water experience for this season in the next couple of weeks. Cold water heightens the risk - um, Lake CDA is COLD. Hopefully it won't be as cold this year as it was last. I haven't checked on the snowpack out there which will be a good indicator.

Anyhow, the forecast for Friday is calling for 45 degrees. I'm currently vowing to take the bike outside for my 1:45 ride. The 4 hour ride will be on the trainer - NS Rob is coming over again.

Long run of 2:10 on Saturday. I'm planning on putting the 10/1 plan into action as it will be closer to what I'll be doing on raceday (hopefully).

No comments: