Monday, April 6, 2009

Extended Rest, Spousal Support and Realism

First things first. I'm taking today off. A perfect storm of phlegm, chills, kids home for Spring Break, and advice from my "coach" led me to call off today's swim and bike. I really didn't want to have to lion tame (chair, whip, top hat) the kids out the door this morning. They're both dragging a bit from sleepovers and it is THEIR spring break.

In looking at last week's totals, I made the mistake of pointing out to the Doc (and myself) that if you move some of that total from swimming to running the total for the WEEK would be about equal to race DAY. Since that week's efforts have left me a bit sore and coughing it makes me wonder if I'll ever be ready to go the distance in a single day. I realize I've got 12 weeks of training left, will be well rested and won't be spending much time at or above threshold (at least I better not be). Last week I spent time in all three disciplines at or above AT.

After a rest day of grazing on the various treats in the house and continuing my Diet Coke with Lime binge (if it goes on for months is it a binge or is there another name for a lengthy 12 pack a day habit?) the Doc turns to me as says "So . . . when are we going to drop the hammer on the diet?" It's a question that has been rattling around in my head for some time. The answer is TODAY . . . as soon as I polish off this last 12 pack of Diet Coke w/Lime.

No comments: