Wednesday, June 17, 2009

5 - 4 . . . Ignition . . .

So I ran today for the first time in at least a week. Just a couple of miles ON THE RUN COURSE. The flat little out and back that starts it off. It's gorgeous, although I'm not sure how much I'll appreciate that the next time I'm on it.

The good news is that I felt nothing in the knee. As I sit here typing I feel nothing in the knee. That's a great sign. Tomorrow I'm reunited with the Guru and will take her out for a spin and I'll have an even better idea how the knee is doing.

The wind was out of the south and pretty brisk. Granted it was later in the morning than the start. It was kind of fun running past all the toned legs standing there staring out at the whitecaps pounding into the beach - looking nervous. While I'm not hoping for rough water, I'm not dreading it either.

We're staying about 2 blocks from the beach. As I headed out the door I could see a guy with disc wheel, deep front rim, full aero helmet, matching arm and leg warmers, full kit. He'll be home and in bed before I finish!

That's one of the reasons that I'm going to minimize my contact with other athletes. While I want to soak in the whole experience, I don't need to spend extra time around the 155 pound greyhounds. I'll feel the energy enough with registration, check in, and swim tomorrow a.m.

Those of you who know me best know I'm essentially a hermit anyhow.

We're driving the bike course this afternoon. I feel like I know it pretty well from the Computrainer. It will be nice to see it firsthand. Right now the family is at the Visitor Center (which is also the volunteer hub). Who knows when I'll see them again. It's apparent in the media how enthusiastic the community is about the event. It seems like sometimes other places I've been have been less enthusiastic about big festivals or events - sort of tolerating them. I get the feeling that this event draws the community out - volunteering and often participating.

The house seems to be working out great. Zman was a little creeped out about renting it with the owners' stuff still around as opposed to a designated rental property. The owners' are super nice - even cleaning up and clearing out on 4 hours notice when they thought we were arriving a day later.

Tonight I hope to put up some pics from Yellowstone and the course.

No comments: