Monday, June 8, 2009

New Plan

I've got a new plan. It may come as a shock to some of you (especially if you were planning on watching my kids tomorrow while I bike). I'm done.

No, I'm not giving up but I'm done. In triathlon one principle is to work on your limiters. If you're a bad swimmer put more energy into that aspect than you do in your strengths. Most people enjoy doing the thing they're good at so they usually do the opposite.

Right now my limiter isn't my training - it may become my limiter but right now it is not. Right now my limiter is my right knee - specifically the quadriceps tendon. The only way to get it to heal is rest. I can continue to get PT - iontopherisis to reduce inflammation, but to heal it needs rest. I can work on strengthening my hamstrings and glutes to reduce to stress on the knee. What I can't do if I want to finish is continue to limp along half training and half healing.

I'm shutting it down.

I will continue to swim my prescribed workouts. I will ride my bike upon arriving in CDA to make sure everything is buttoned down ready to roll. I may even run a bit in CDA. Other than that I am saving the remaining undamaged fibers of my tendon for raceday.

Well, at least that is my plan at 5:25 on Monday. Check back with me at 10:40 on Tuesday and it may change. Until then I'll be the one twitching in the corner with the worried look on my face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rich,

Rest is the best course at this point I'm sure. Save it for race day. Best of luck!!!
I'll be thinking of you!

Shirley