Monday, June 8, 2009

Confindence gained, confidence lost

Yesterday morning I had a real confidence booster. I completed a 1 hour open water swim with a stiff breeze stirring up some chop. Went out for 15 minutes, back, walked up to the cabin and then repeated. The walk was to simulate coming out of the water between loops at the course. It felt good. No real fatigue. Granted I was on my own without 2500 thrashing competitors but I was happy.

Yesterday afternoon I had my confidence crushed. I went for a 2 hour ride and the knee really started to bug me. It wasn't too bad unless I stopped at traffic signals (yes, Dave those lights are for us bikers too) and then it would stiffen up quickly. The only positive was that at the end of the ride I threw in a decent hill and that didn't seem to make it worse. I did run off the bike and that wasn't too bad.

Got a call this morning that my therapist is in having a baby (nice planning, eh) so I'm not getting therapy today. Arrrrgh! Ok, now I just got a follow up call and I'm getting iontopheresis over their lunch hour. At least that will knock down the inflammation.

I knew Ironman was going to be painful but I thought it would be the "man, I'm tired and sore" kind of pain not the I'm injured and just suffering through this hoping to limp across the line kind of pain. I told Anne last night that she should be prepared for me to head to the medical tent if I am fortunate enough to finish because I'm surely going to need some help for the knee.

Wednesday I have PT and a doc appointment. First issue for doc is whether pushing through pain may cause long term damage or is it just a matter of gritting my teeth through it.

Happy Monday!

No comments: